Last Sunday our Bishop gave a talk on timing. He started off the talk by saying that it isn’t the kind of topic that you would think to give a talk on in Sacrament meeting, but that after he related the things in his talk, we would see how it applies to gospel principles.
As he spoke… my husband and I kept glancing at each other. I know the talk was for me/us. I’m sure many others in the congregation gained a lot from it too, but it was very ‘timely’ for us.
I was trying to decide if the talk was to tell me to be patient, it’s coming, or if it was a confirmation that all the things that had happened that week were happening at the right time.
Since Sunday, things have continued to happen that now makes me know it was the Lord’a way of letting me know that the ‘timing’ for our move was finally right and that where we are going is where he wants us to be.
We’ve wanted to move for quite some time. Not because we don’t like our condo, because we do…. we just don’t like living in such a strict HOA community. At least, too strict for our taste. Plus, we just need more room in the garage for my hubbies stuff and he wants to be able to tinker out there. And we wanted everything we needed on one level so we didn’t have to deal with stairs. And a place for the dogs.
We put our condo on the market at the end of September. I had been frustrated all Summer long that we couldn’t seem to make the time to get it ready to list. But again…. timing.
We had a lot of interest in our condo that first few weeks, but no one moved forward with an offer. In the meantime, we had found a home that we wanted to buy and put in an offer contingent on the sale of our home. Because our offer on the other home was contingent on our sale, the Seller opted to keep their home on the market, but we would have first right to continue with our offer if we could remove the contingency should they receive another offer.
Well…. after several weeks on the market, we still had not received a offer, though I had recently had people through looking at it that sounded like they might be making one. Unfortunately, (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) the Seller on the home we had offered on received another offer on their home and we were not in a position to remove the contingency, so we lost the home to another Buyer.
I was so frustrated because I knew we were so close to getting an offer, but I wasn’t positive so we had to back out. I had spent time in my mind dreaming about where I would put things and what we would do to make the space our own. We were so excited about moving further North to be a little closer to our kids. I was very disappointed when we lost the house. Then about two hours after our deadline to remove the contingency on it, an offer DID com in on our condo. Crazy!
We started on the hunt again for a home to put under contract. We looked at several existing homes and even went through some new construction. There was a home in a subdivision we had looked at earlier in the year that I wanted to see. It had pretty much all the things on my list that I wanted other than it was a 2 story, but with the Master is on the main. I loved the kitchen and family room area in that thing. The pantry was to die for big. But the thought of having to do stairs to get to the office or craft room was a little worrisome to me. My husband and I both have knee problems and have recently been told we need knee replacements…. so stairs is becoming more of an issue. However, we hope after knee surgery they will be just like new.
We kept looking because of the 2 story thing. Then a couple of days later, we went back over to the same subdivision to look at a rambler that had just come up on the market. Though we like most things about it… again… it was lacking in some areas and I wasn’t stoked about it. The listing Agent had mentioned that they were framing another rambler right around the corner that would be available the end of December.
After walking through the finished rambler we walked down the street to see if we could find the one he was talking bout. There were about 5 homes under construction on that street. We started walking through all of them. We found some we kind of liked on the East side of the street, but didn’t know which was his. A couple buying one of the homes under construction came to see how it was going as we were walking through theirs. They told us that they thought that most of those on the East side of the street were already sold.
There was one under construction on the west side so we walked across the street and walked through it. We really liked what we saw, so I called the Realtor back to ask him which one they were building and that was the one! I told him we were very interested in the home. He got my email info and said he would email me the floor plan and we could talk on Monday. Yesterday we signed the papers and are now Under Contract on it.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch…. we had more people interested in seeing our condo. Since the offer we accepted on it was an offer contingent on the sale of their home (sound familiar?), we had opted to keep it on the market also. I had three more showings after we went under contract with this Buyer. One of them is very interested and her Realtor said she was probably going to make an offer on it without contingencies. Though we have not seen one yet. Perhaps because the Realtor asked me what the chances would be of our current Buyer being able to remove the contingency on ours. I told her I wasn’t sure, but that she could possibly do it. She had two homes on the market she was trying to sell and only needs one of them to sell to close our deal. So she could possibly take out an Equity line if necessary to close on ours if she had too. I think that may be why we haven’t received another offer. She didn’t want to get her clients hopes up. But you just never know!
So it’s been a CRAZY couple of weeks with things going in directions that I never thought they would! And it’s all because the timing was right. Had we not been Under Contract on the first home to keep us occupied till this other home under construction became available, we wouldn’t have been over there looking at the right time. And why didn’t a Buyer for my condo come along sooner? After all, we had had over 17.000 hits on the listing! You’d think ONE person would come from that, right? It’s just a confirmation to me that the Lord knew what needed to happen in order for all the ducks to be in a row. TIMING!
The best part about the timing of finding this house, is that we caught it in time to make some of the decisions on colors and such. I was too late for the kitchen cabinet color, but it was the color I wanted anyway, so that worked out great! But now I can choose flooring and paint and countertops, and a few other upgrades, etc. Plus, we got in in time that I am having the laundry room expanded a little into the garage (which is MUCH bigger than what we have). I know I will like it much better. I’m pretty excited about it. So not only are we getting a nicer more updated home than we would have…. but I also have a say in the choices and we won’t have to go in and remodel anything in an older home! NEVER owned a brand new home. This is exciting.
Although we are moving even further South from where we are, which puts us further away from the kids…. the access to the neighborhood is quite convenient, and time wise not a lot different for our kids to get to us.
I just keep thinking that there’s a reason we are headed over there. I’m sure we will figure out why someday. In the meantime…. I’m grateful the timing has worked out for us and for the Bishop’s talk to be a reminder that things happen in the Lord’s time, not ours. And, in most cases, it’s always the best for us.
I Am Grateful! How Are You?
UPDATE — December 16, 2014
As a continuation of the above story….. the Buyer that I mentioned above backed out of the contract with us about 3 weeks later leaving us with NO BUYER! By that time, we were well underway on making changes to this new home we we under contract for and had put lots of money down on, but we needed a Buyer to be able to purchase the new house.
Again…. timing….. We just had faith it would all work out the way it was suppose to. It took until the first part of January to find another Buyer but they couldn’t close on the purchase of our condo till March and our Builder wanted to finish and close on our home in February. Luckily, my husbands Dad was in a position that he could temporally loan us the money we needed in order to purchase our home and we paid him back as soon as we closed on selling the condo. So…. the timing was amazing on all of it. We’ve been in our new home since February 23, 2014. We love it here and have already found reasons why we should be here. Too many to name here… but we feel that Heavenly Father knew where we were needed more than we did!
I Am Still Grateful! How Are You?